There is no strict minimum amount of RENEC required to run a validator on Renec.
However in order to participate in consensus, a vote account is required which has a rent-exempt reserve of 0.02685864 RENEC. Voting also requires sending a vote transaction for each block the validator agrees with, which can cost up to 1.1 RENEC per day.
- 12 cores / 24 threads, or more
- 2.8GHz, or faster
- AVX2 instruction support (to use official release binaries, self-compile otherwise)
- Support for AVX512f and/or SHA-NI instructions is helpful
- The AMD Zen3 series is popular with the validator community
- 32GB, or more
- Motherboard with 256GB capacity suggested
- PCIe Gen3 x4 NVME SSD, or better
- Accounts: 500GB, or larger. High TBW (Total Bytes Written)
- Ledger: 1TB or larger. High TBW suggested
- OS: (Optional) 500GB, or larger. SATA OK
- The OS may be installed on the ledger disk, though testing has shown better performance with the ledger on its own disk
- Accounts and ledger can be stored on the same disk, however due to high IOPS, this is not recommended
- The Samsung 970 and 980 Pro series SSDs are popular with the validator community
- Not strictly necessary at this time
- Motherboard and power supply speced to add one or more high-end GPUs in the future suggested
- We build and run on Ubuntu 20.04.
- See Installing Renec for the current Renec software release.
Prebuilt binaries are available for Linux x86_64 on CPUs supporting AVX2 (Ubuntu 20.04 recommended). MacOS or WSL users may build from source.
Internet service should be at least 300Mbit/s symmetric, commercial. 1GBit/s preferred
The following ports need to be open to the internet for both inbound and outbound
It is not recommended to run a validator behind a NAT. Operators who choose to do so should be comfortable configuring their networking equipment and debugging any traversal issues on their own.
- 8000-10000 TCP/UDP - P2P protocols (gossip, turbine, repair, etc). This can
be limited to any free 13 port range with
For security purposes, it is not suggested that the following ports be open to the internet on staked, mainnet-beta validators.
- 8899 TCP - JSONRPC over HTTP. Change with `--rpc-port RPC_PORT``
- 8900 TCP - JSONRPC over Websockets. Derived. Uses
RPC_PORT + 1
CUDA is required to make use of the GPU on your system. The provided Renec release binaries are built on Ubuntu 20.04 with CUDA Toolkit 10.1 update 1. If your machine is using a different CUDA version then you will need to rebuild from source.